From:
Greg Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:17:29 -0500
Since there seem to be way more converted/converting veggies on this
list than I ever would have guessed, I'm thinking maybe I'm not alone
having difficulty adding meat back to my diet.  Unlike most of the
people who have expressed problems with this, I don't have any moral,
spiritual, or other problems with eating meat, I just don't like it.  I
wear my motorcycle leathers and don't apologize for it.  If a few cows
had to die to save my skin, so be it.  It seems that for most people who
are converting, once they get past whatever hangups they have about
eating meat, they enjoy it thoroughly and passionately.  I wish I could
do that as well.

I would like to add more into my diet but I'm having a real hard time so
far.  The reason I originally gave up meat was because I found that it
was less and less appetizing until it just became easier to quit eating
it altogether.  My older sister was/is a vegetarian so it's hard for me
to say how much of an influence that had on me.  I'm sure some of the
veggie dogma sunk in and I developed some of the feeling of moral
superiority over meat-eaters.  Now I'm not sure how much of my feelings
towards meat are a result of that and how much are my actual responses
to the food items.

My main problem is with the texture of meat, not the taste.  I won't eat
beef but beef gravy, no problem.  Basically the sinewy texture of meat
is what turns me off.  I've found I can eat bacon (if it's cooked
somewhat crispy), turkey bacon, and extra thin-sliced deli turkey.  The
problem is that these seem to be among the more processed of the meats,
which ideally I'd avoid.  I've also added some deviled eggs from time to
time.  That still doesn't allow for much variety so I end up eating meat
with usually no more than one meal a day.  I've read about how good
salmon is supposed to be for me but it's so fatty it's hard to take.
Most of the frozen fish dishes at the grocery don't seem very appetizing
either.  I'm hoping I can find ways to cook my own fish dishes that will
be better, but after begin vegan so long, I realize I don't know
anything about how to cook meat!

I was eating a lot of nuts, but now I'm LCing so I'm stuck with tofu for
protein, which is obviously non-paleo.  My hope is that eventually I'll
be able to change my perceptions somewhat and also find more meat dishes
I can enjoy until I can make the full transition.

-Greg