From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 05:24:12 -0500
On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 00:30:24 -0500, Wally Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>The ketones are the actual fuel used by MOST body functions under these
>conditions, and any amount over the body's immediate needs are shed
>through the lungs, through perspiration, and in the urine.

Can be, but the actual fuel from fat are free fatty acids.

>Without this system, stored fat would be
>useless, and we would immediately have to cannibalize out own muscles for
>energy in the absence of food, and would die in a very short time.

Stored fat is normally used (and used for some 80% in most people)
as free fatty acids, *not* (only) as ketones.
Ketones are produced only if no or not enough carbohydrates are available
at the same time.
See a complete description at: http://www.zonehome.com/met/metlipid.htm
They indicate fat burning in a low carb environment.
The fat may be body fat or eaten fat.

Own muscles are cannibalized *only* to gain missing *carbohydrate*
(which is mandatory for the brain). The process is called gluconeogenesis.
To avoid burning own muscles enough protein from the food must be present
to satisfy the minimum carbohydrate requirements.
And this is a *lot*.

>This is the reason that actual lowcarb diets
>(paleo or not) stress the need for maintaining adequate protein intake.

Lowcarb diets greatly increase the requirements for protein, which is
made to carbohydrate for murning, therefore increasing "adequate" protein
very much.

>The absence of dietary carbohydrates induces the utilization of stored
>fat,

Like the absence of dietary fat.

>... while the intake of adequate dietary protein prevents the
>cannibalization of muscle tissue.

True!
Also without lowcarb.

regards