From:
A Gryphon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:49:26 -0400
>A Gryphon wrote:
>

>>Look at the current crop of "Soy is a miracle food" books and tell me you
>>don't see the hand of Mon$anto.
>
>Actually most of the soy is great comes from Archer-Daniels Midland.
>
>Don.

Well, it's still not coming from an independent source then, is it?

Furthermore, as for consumer demand:

Consumers in this country (Canada) have asked, over and over and over, that
all genetically modified foods be identified as such. And our goverment just
turns a deaf ear. Hmmmm, could it be because canola is now the number one
cash crop in Canada, ahead of even wheat? And the GM food industry just
whines, 'But our sales, our sales!'

In Europe, and especially in Britain, there is a huge public opposition to
GM foods. Crops are regularly destroyed by protesters. Two years ago at the
1997 Convention of the Canadian Canola Council, the American delegate (who
BTW is from ADM) stated that the best strategy would be to simply move to
get the product on the market before the opposition had a chance to fully
organize.
http://www.canola-council.org/about/97conven/Dixon.htm

Yeah, sounds like consumer demand all over the place.

There will be (yet another) petition, asking that GM foods be labelled,
presented when the Canadian Parliament reconvenes this fall. I can only hope
this time they will listen.

Irene