From:
"Peter G. Tallas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 13:04:55 -0700
The nutrient info for salmon that I have shows that farmed Atlantic salmon
per 100 grams of baked/broiled has more DHA than king (Chinook), pink or
red (Sockeye) salmon, 1.4, 0.75, 0.73, and 0.70 grams, respectively.

However, Chinook salmon has more EPA per 100 grams of baked/broiled than
farmed, pink, or red, 1.01, 0.66, 0.54, 0.53 grams, respectively.

I'm partial to wild Alaskan salmon, as I lived up there for a decade.

Peter

At 10:20 AM 4/14/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Recently I have been reading that the essential fatty acid level in farm
>raised salmon is very small, compared to wild caught salmon, presumably
>because of the change in the way they are fed. Since wild caught salmon is
>hard to come by, we have been buying a lot of canned salmon, which is at
>least Alaskan wild salmon. I notice there is pink salmon, and red salmon,
>which costs about twice as much as the pink. Does anyone know what differeces
>there might be in fatty acid composition between the pink and the red? or why
>the red is so much more expensive? Is it worth the extra money?
>TIA
>Maddy S.

Vulneratus, non victus