From:
"tray.b" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:56:46 -0400
On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Elizabeth Beasley <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Ron, and others, I was happy to read the below. I feel exactly the same
> way.
> I only feel well, get to and stay at a great body weight and shape, eating
> fattier meats, lots of low carb veggies, and use fats for cooking like
> bacon/pork side fat.
>
> However, I do crave sweets, and it's horribly worse during my time of the
> month.
>
> When I do cave in (no pun intended) I feel horrible, go on a binge, can't
> stop until I just feel really horribly, my entire body hurts, my sinuses
> ache, I cough and get congested, and more awful stuff. :(
>
> I can't figure it out, why does my body crave stuff that makes it so
> emotionally and physically ill?

---------------------------------

Elizabeth, I can offer my own experience here...

When I was eating low-fat (vegetarian and omni), I used to get insane
cravings for potato chips. So bad that I honestly couldn't just ignore them
- if I didn't eat chips, I'd literally be up all night thinking about them.
I suspect I was actually craving fat, and my mind associated that craving to
a food I was familiar with. Now if I'm craving fat, meat springs to mind, or
coconut oil, or buttery eggs or raw yolks. Or cream, when I am eating dairy
(I'm avoiding it for now)

Also - I used to get insane cravings for starch. Crackers and bread, mainly,
or pasta. I'd binge like mad. Turns out I am gluten intolerant, and that its
common to crave foods that you're intolerant of.  Since gluten and other
foreign proteins can act as opiates in the body, for all intents and
purposes it was like drug cravings. I think sugar is the same for some
people (esp since alcoholism has been linked to blood sugar/insulin issues).
It acts like a drug in your body. I wonder if it, like gluten, casein etc,
can cross the blood/brain barrier and act on certain receptors in the brain?

What sweets do you tend to crave - sweet/sugar in general, or specific
items?

Tracy