From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 03:46:08 -0400
> ... By following the OD, I'm gambling that it's safe. I don't know that
> I'll follow it forever. If I can reach a reasonable weight, I may make
> some changes. I'm not going to make plans for that until I'm there.
> At the moment, I'm still losing weight, and feeling good. That's good enough.

Todd Moody

There is a long and continuing thread on Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=394793

I have read the English translation of Kwasniewski's "Optimal Nutrition" and, irritated by the lack of an index, I compiled my own. It's pretty comprehensive and runs to 15 A4 pages. Anyone on the Paleofood list can contact me directly by e-mail, and I'll send you a copy.

Kwasniewski's book is strong on assertion even dogmatism in an Asberger-ish way, but that may be due to the translation. Kwasniewski lists the diseases and conditions the OD can cure or at least control, but we have only his blanket, unqualified claims, no independent research. The focus of the book - and of the diet as presented in the book - is the treatment, cure and elimination of pathologies, not on how healthy people can maintain their health through the decades. I get a bit tired of books that take as a starting point that readers are sick, fat, depressed, full of ennui, generally dissatisfied with their looks and have a childish Peter Pan-like desire to stay young forever. Kwasniewski swings in and out of this model, but in his own Polish way.

His other book translated into English, "Homo Optimus" takes us into his personal philosophy (the Jews, on their way from captivity in Egypt to Israel had an atomic reactor with them, odd views on the supernatural and other extraordinary claims), unorthodox biblical interpretation and his struggles with the Polish medical establishment - pretty much just his side of that story.

I am surprised that an empiricist like you, Todd, should take up the Optimal Diet. I'm experimenting with it too and have quadrupled my intake of saturated animal fats over the past three months, while confining my food intake to palaeo foods.

One final point, Kwasniewski has a formula for calculating ideal weight (Kg = height in cm minus 100). This leads to a weight which I think is pretty right, but it would be considered bordering on "fat" by many in North America, the UK etc.

Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet is not palaeo, but the macronutrient profile is similar and Kwasniewski refers to his diet as the optimal one for a human organism. I am following it broadly using only palaeo foods, so I think it's legit to continue our discussion of it here.

Keith