From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 22:31:09 -0700
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the great questions.

Maybe. It depends on the HLA markers on their white blood cells. There is
also the question of how long the memory cells last in those without the HLA
markers of susceptibility (42% of Americans have them). Kenneth Fine gave an
excellent talk on this subject. The transcript is at:
https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/Frame_Resources.htm

> 2.  Are there other foods besides gluten-containing grains that
> contain multiple glutamine sequences?
Perhaps, but I don't recall seeing as many as in the gluten sequences and
Martin Kagnoff made the specific point that this problem is specific to
gluten grains.

> 3.  Besides avoidance of gluten are there any foods or supplements
> shown to be beneficial in reestablishing the epithelial junctions.

Because zonulin was just discovered a few years ago the research is still
very new and relevant information is limited.
One pharmaceutical company is developing a drug that clones receptors for
zonulin. The development name is AT1001. Because it remains in the
intestinal lumen and just attaches the free zonulin, this should provide the
necessary opportunity for the barrier to re-establish. It isn't available
yet, and it does nothing for those who want to continue to eat gluten
regularly. I wrote an article on this topic for the Winter 2006 issue of
ScottFree Newsletter. It is available online.

Again, thanks for the excellent questions.

Best Wishes,
Ron