Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:18:22 -0400
Ro posted this:
PS  do any of you share freezers with relatives or friends?  If so, how
does that work out?

My reply:
We have a large side by side refrigerator freezer, which is in fantastic
shape (which my mother-in-law found for a bargain of $25 when some people
she knew were moving or clearing out things from the death of a parent!!!).
This large unit replaced our previously small (second-hand)
refrigerator-freezer, which had a small top freezer compartment.  We can
store a fair amount of fish, poultry, meat, and frozen fruit in our newer
freezer.  My in-laws live close by and have a large deep-freeze in their
basement.  They let us keep some of our meet in it.  When we bought half a
side of grass fed beef and a small lamb, I was able to stash some in their
freezer.  If you don't have space in the house, perhaps you have a garage
you can use to store a second, second-hand freezer or refrigerator-freezer.

Keep a look out for a used refrigerator freezer, and upgrade to a larger one
if space permits.  I have my mother-in-law (a great bargain finder) on the
lookout for a small chest freezer that we can keep in our basement.

We dedicate an entire shelf in our refrigerator to protein foods---fresh,
frozen and thawing, thawed, ready to cook, or cooked and leftover.  It makes
it easy to find things when we need them and to have them ready for cooking.
We dedicate certain shelves to vegetables as well.

Cheers,
Rachel