From:
Betty Ann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:32:47 -0600
My daughter has read a book entitled Coercion "Why We Listen to What "They"
Say by Douglas Rushkoff. The book deals with marketing strategies which
would apply to the common advertisers and the "expert" organizations that
tell us what's "best" for us. I haven't read my copy of the book, but my
daughter said that it was a real eye opener for her (she's 26). Here's a
quote from the dust jacket of the book:

"Douglas Rushkoff argues that we each have our own 'theys' - bosses,
pundits, authorities, both real and imaginary - whom we allow to shape our
lives and manage our futures. Like parents, they can make us feel safe. They
do our thinking for us. We don't have to worry about our next move. It has
already been decided on our behalf, and in our best interests. Or so we
hope."

After reading Anchell's book, I can see how certain marketing strategies
would apply to some of the health organizations...with the American Heart
Association as an example. I worked (note the tense) as a volunteer for them
and served on the local board. I know the spiel quite well...I did enough
"health" fairs with a table displaying the fat jars and the accompanying
literature. I am not totally against the AHA...just their dietary
recommendation of low-fat, etc. I got involved with them when my daughter
had a heart arrhythmia surgically corrected. I wanted more information and
they were able to point me to resources. This arrhythmia is hereditary...I
have since had mine corrected. No regrets. Now if I could just conquer the
asthma (exercise induced) and lose the excess weight. I'm going to give
Anchell's plan a try starting on Tuesday.

Betty Ann
mailto:[log in to unmask]

"In a cat's eyes, all things belong to cats." English Proverb