From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:09:08 -0600
> I think there are also people, like my father, who never become tolerant
even when they eat small
> amounts of milk products.

Boy, I really hate that subject - "Cheese argument". It makes it sound like
some of us are arguing that cheese should automatically be included in the
paleo dietary, which is not the case. I think it more appropriate to
suggest that cheese should not automatically be excluded just because it's
on the "hit list". Some foods, many of them assumed to be paleo, must be
dealt with on a case by case basis. I think milk and cheese are
"borderline" paleo, and should be treated as such.

I am of Northern European descent, and I have fewer problems with milk
products than most. Too much clogs my sinuses, but small amounts seem to do
nothing. I'm not a *huge* cheese or milk fan, but I do  occasionally like
to have a cheese snack (meat and cheese trays rule!), and I don't go nuts
if there's cheese crumbles on my salad.

My wife, however, who is of primarily Southern European descent with a
little Native American mixed in, seems to be getting increasingly milk and
cheese intolerant as she gets older. Yet she loves - craves - the stuff.

(By the way, is "First Nations" the new way to say "Native American", or
does it refer to something else? I've heard the term quite a bit lately,
but I'm still not sure of the context).