Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:29:33 -0700
Greg > I'm a low-income student at the moment and have been concerned
about consuming too much o-6 fat with my meat consumption but am weary
of relatively expensive grass-fed meat.  What I ended up doing was
buying pails of beef tallow and pemmican from US Wellness Meats
(www.grasslandbeef.com) which is pretty much the cheapest stuff they
have and should help out.  The fat in this stuff is claimed to have a
good o-3 to o-6 balance and high in CLA.  I plan on using the tallow in
many of my recipes and other cooking.  Just wondering if anyone thinks
this is a bad/good idea and if anyone else has any strategies for
paleo-food budgeting?

I think you're definitely on the right track, Greg.  I'm not on a budget
anymore -- since I've been out of school for sixteen years -- but one
things that really helps on the food bills for me is what has been
called the Warrior Diet or intermittent fasting.  Bottom line is that
you only eat a full meal in the late afternoon or at dinnertime.

A typical day for me, then, is to have a cup or two of green tea in the
morning along with a teaspoon full of Carlsons Cod Liver Oil.  (You
could substitute a teaspoon of tallow).  If I feel any hunger at all
during the day, then I'll take a sip of olive or almond oil. (You could
have that pemmican bar). Then at night I have a good, full meal of say
three chicken breasts cooked in Coconut Oil, three or four slices of
bacon, and a salad with olive oil and lemon.  Whole day probably sets
me back $10.