From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:17:29 -0800
Hi Adrienne,
I think you misunderstood Art's comments on cortisol. I understood him
to say that:
He stands a lot to ensure that he metabolizes fat.
If I have any stress I get off my 'seat' because you're not burning any
fat while seated. The muscles have to be loaded to burn any fat.
Then he points out that the lowest status chimpanzee in a troupe is
raging with cortisol and has a roll of fat around his middle, so I think
that he recognizes that cortisol makes fat rather than burns it.

His position is that we need to exercise to burn fat. I certainly don't
agree with that.  My experience is that in a state of ketosis, people
who are overweight or obese will lose weight regardless of how little
they exercise. As they approach their ideal weight, they will need some
exercise to continue to lose weight, but the exercise requirements are
quite limited.   On the other hand, I find that as the people I work
with lose weight, they spontaneously increase their activity levels,
sometimes only noticing the change when I question them about it.  I'd
also like to say that, early in the ketogenic diet, I discourage the
people I work with from increasing their activity levels. It is only
after they find themselves spontaneously becoming more active that I
suggest that they can increase their rate of weight loss through
increased activity. DeVany is correct in saying that increased activity
will help to burn fat (especially in the context of ketosis) but I think
that it is dangerous early in the diet and only becomes necessary when
the dieter is close to their ideal weight.

It is also important to remember that Art De Vany was a professional
athlete who consistently maintained relatively high levels of exercise
throughout his life.  The circumstances that precluded his shift to a
Paleodiet involved pains and discomfort arising from his sedentary life
after becoming an academic.

The notion that humans are "lazy overeaters" is, in my opinion, utter
nonsense. We are just not programmed to eat all of the simple
carbohydrates that now comprise most of our diet.  Most of our ancestors
evolved eating protein, complex carbs, and a wide range of fats. Some of
them evolved eating only fats and protein with little or no carbohydrate.
best wishes,
Ron

best wishes,
Ron