Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 18:05:30 -0400
What I meant by excessive aerobics is this:  Many women think that they way to become
slender is to do a lot of aerobic exercise. They think they will burn a lot of calories
and lose weight.  Some do aerobics 1-2 hours a day.  Often they don't lift weights--out of
fear--or they lift weights (but so little that nothing happens, nothing changes and they
stay weak).  The majority of women have a low lean mass (worsened by years of low-cal,
high-carb dieting).  Then too much aerobics suppresses their metabolic rate more (maybe
from too much cortisol in addition to too little protein in the diet (I don't have the
articles on this handy) and they end up frustrated.  They don't burn as much as they think
and sometimes even with a calorie deficit they don't lose weight... that was my basic
point.  Things can go on metabolically that prevent fat loss when the body is under
certain stresses.

I'm not against talking brisk walks (even daily), strapping on a back pack and doing
errands on foot, using our feet for transportation.  When we lived in a more foot-friendly
city which had many places we frequented within walking distance, my husband and I walked
a lot--90-12- minute walks here and there were a breeze.  Not all cities are pedestrian
friendly.

Excessive or injurious aerobics often take the form of aerobics classes or related things,
some of which have a very high injury rate---much higher than is found with walking or
even weight lifting.

Rachel