From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:26:19 -0800
> the wide variety of animal foods
> that would have been
> available year 'round.

"Year 'round", that's really the key phrase, isn't it?

During my younger days, when I actually toyed around
with vegetarianism and natural hygiene, I always came
back to that "big" question: How could primitive
people in northern climates be vegetarian? All the NH
propaganda I had read discussed veganism as the
"original" diet - a perfectly pristine way of life.
Sure, if you're stranded on the ideal tropical island
with a huge variety of edible plants, fruits and nuts.
But where, in the northern climates, can you find
"fresh" food available year 'round that is not animal
based?

Personally, I am not a huge meat eater. I would guess
I eat less meat than most on this list. However, I
would *never* eliminate meat from my diet simply
because *IT'S NOT NATURAL* to avoid meat.