From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 09:48:33 -0500
> Would a regular allopathic dr. do this kind of test, or is it best to find a
> holistic practitioner to get someone who understands the condition? Can any
> typical lab do the test, or does the blood need to be sent away somewhere?

Holistic doctors, naturopaths, nutritionists and some
chiropractors will do it.  The Holistic Medical Assn. (don't
know their URL, but they have a website) may be able to
direct you to someone in your area.  Great Smokies
Diagnostics (they have a site also - gdsl.com, I think?) and
a couple other labs (don't remember who they are) do the
test.

But I have to agree with Lauri Light (message below) about
the accuracy.  I've personally found more food intolerances
through elimination and challenge.  Some of the foods that
they found are okay for me to rotate in my diet due to a
lower reactivity cause me the most grief. Also, if a certain
food is eliminated long enough, your antibody levels will
drop.  Thus the test may show no reaction to a food you may
in fact be allergic to.  (Much like the anti-gliadin
antibody tests they due for Celiac disease.  If you haven't
eaten gluten grains for some time, they want you to poison
yourself by eating a daily portion of them for six weeks so
that, if you are reactive to gluten, the antibodies will
show up.  They can keep their wheat - I can live without
doing that!)  Example:  I had an overlapping test done (some
of the same foods were on an expanded test list) six months
after the first one.  Many of the allergins I'd eliminated
from the first test showed a negative or lowered reaction on
the second.  IgG allergies are the ones you can often "get
over", while IgE antibodies will return if you reintroduce
the offending food.  It's all rather complicated - makes my
brain hurt!

Lois