Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 18:49:44 -0600
At 11:42 AM 07/06/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Reminds me of the macrobiotic gurus who scrambled to "explain" to those who
>faithfully followed the diet, only to have their cancer return.

[snip]

Interesting you should mention that... dateline, July 5, 2001

AP Top News
Obituaries in the News
By The Associated Press

Aveline Kushi:

BROOKLINE, Mass. (AP) -- Aveline Kushi, a leader of the health food
movement who helped found one of the nation's first natural food
stores, Tuesday from cervical cancer. She was 78.

With her husband, Michio, the Japanese-born Kushi was a leading
proponent of alternative medicine and of macrobiotics, the belief
that eating a mostly vegetarian diet of organic grains and produce
affects far more than physical health.

In 1966 she opened Erewhon, a shop in Brookline, Mass., named for a
utopian novel by British philosopher Samuel Butler. In 1978, Kushi
and her husband founded the Kushi Institute, a school to teach
macrobiotics. The school is now located in Becket, Mass.

Among her books are ''Aveline Kushi's Complete Guide to Macrobiotic
Cooking'' and ''The Macrobiotic Cancer Prevention Cookbook.''

AP-NY-07-05-01 2313EDT