From:
kelly baggett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:10:38 -0500
This is an interesting idea.  Do you have a reference for it?

In a message dated 1/31/2002 2:26:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Appetite at breakfast can be a marker of insulin sensitivity.  Generally
>the
>lower one's fasting blood sugar (less than 70 would be excellent most
>people
>are above 80) the better the insulin sensitivity, glucose tolerance etc.
>and
>the more likely they are to have a good appetite at breakfast.  This is
>probably a large reason why as people age their early morning appetite
>tends
>to diminish whereas lean children and teenagers are more likely to wake up
>with a strong appetite.

As for the glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity part fasting glucose
has long been a test used in the diagnoses of diabetes.  As to how this
related to appetite it just makes sense that the lower one's blood sugar is
at any given time than the more likely they are to crave food.  I've also
been using an oral glucometer and tracking my blood glucose at regular
intervals the past few months.  I used to have a voracious appetite at
breakfast up until a couple of years ago and about this time I noticed not
only would I wake up without much appetite but what food I did eat tended to
make me fat even though I was eating much less than before.  After
determining that my overall response to carbohydrates had declined I set
about to see if I could do something about this.  During this time my
fasting glucose has gone from the mid to high 80's down to the high 60's.
I've noticed once again that I tolerate carbs much better than before and I
again tend to wake up hungry.  Although eating less carb in general will
lower one's fasting blood glucose and tone down hyperinsulinemia this
doesn't necessarily help ones response to carbohydrate and actually will
hinder it if carried on for too long of a time.  The key is the proper
amount and type of exercise, proper supplementation (lots of fish and flax
oil + alpha lipoic acid), proper timing of meals (eating carbohydrates
mainly at specific times when the body is most apt to store them in muscle),
and paying attention to other things which have an effect on glucose
tolerance and insulin sensitivity including:  hypothyroidism, depression,
excessive use of stimulants (caffeine, ephedrine or anything which causes
negative feedback from the adrenal glands), and stress.  For those who want
to test this theory out simply pick up an affordable blood glucose
monitoring device at any drugstore along with some testing strips and find
your baseline morning blood sugar when eating a normal diet.  After this eat
1 lb of fatty cold water fish per day or supplement with lots of fish oils
(taken enough fish oil to get 6-10 grams combined DHA/EPA) , take 600 mg of
alpha lipoic acid per day, curtail the use of all stimulants, exercise
aerobically and anaerobically a minimum of 3 times per week and eat a mix of
high fiber carbs.    After a couple of weeks of this fasting glucose should
improve and morning appetite, overall metabolism and carbohydrate response
should improve as well.