From:
Ingrid Bauer/J-C Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:27:15 -0800
 the following is Extracted  from an interview of daniel  Quinn  author of
"Ishmael" and "beyond civilisation"
http://www.simpleliving.net/newsletter/content.htm?in=28&ty=Articles&i=01

Well in line in the discussion going on about the improvments made by
agri-cultures.
That is why for me it is so important to bypass and boycott the actual
distribution system of food by creating our own source of foods and
exchanging directly with others doing the same . It is the  way in my view
to regain the quality of life that  was once our given birth right as any
other species on earth.
jean-claude

DQ: Every civilization (and I use the word in its ordinary dictionary sense)
turns food into a commodity. Among people for whom food is free for the
taking (as it once was for humans everywhere), it's impossible to imagine a
civilization coming into existence
ful interview at or remaining in existence. Just think what would happen in
our own civilization if tomorrow food became free for the taking and no one
had to work for it anymore.

As soon as food becomes a commodity, society automatically falls into a
hierarchical structure, with those who control access to it at the top and
those who need access to it at the bottom. In ancient Egypt, the Pharaoh
controlled access to food. In modern times, wage-payers control access to
food (because the wage is what gives workers access to food). The vast
majority of workers globally don't go to work in order to own automobiles
and computers and high-resolution television sets, they go to work in order
to put food on the table (which is all their wage enables them to do) -- and
if food were free for the taking, they wouldn't go to work at all. Below
this lowest class of workers is of course a still lower class of the
unemployed and unemployable who, earning no wages at all, must beg, steal,
or scavenge their food.

The system is the same whether you live in Detroit, Bangladesh, Beijing,
Tokyo, or Buenos Aires.

ps(the rest of the article is very interesting stuff about how to tribally
earn a living .)
jc