From:
Trish Tipton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:15:37 -0700
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 01:40:28 -0700 Mike MacLeod <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Well, there's stevia. I read on the net that there is considerable
variation in the taste of commercial preparations. That's good news,
because the stuff I got at Whole Foods is pretty bad. Not only is it
bitter, but I detest the alcohol reek.  Can you recommend another
> brand?A simple experiment of cooking a bit with butter and  maple
flavoring and vanilla and ground pecans yielded a couple of
tablespoons
of a wonderfully rich, nutty treat. But whatever else it does, it
caused
a moderate insulin release after I ate it, either from the sympathetic
reaction mentioned by the Drs. Eades, or from innate
Frankensugarness.>>

For stevia, the best I have found so far is in bulk white powder.  I
actually mix mine with splenda.  It is much cheaper in bulk as well.
Basically, no nmae brand.  Stay away from NOW brand. tastes nasty.
Now
if you just want to sweeten tea or coffee............ I buy the green
chopped leaves, make a pouch out of a coffee filter or cheese cloth
and
place in with my pitcher of tea or coffee.  As for your insulin
reaction,
that I feel is due to the sweetness alone of Splenda.  In Anchell's
book,
it states any kind of sweetener will slow down weightloss. He also
states
he does not know why.  In theory alone, I think it is due to a
trickery
of the body.  If the body TASTES  something sweet, insulin is
released.
Just like some people react to the smell alone of sweets or breads and
such. Any takers on my thoughts? I am far from an expert.    BTW, I
used
to buy my splenda via internet, at http://splenda.com   or
sucralose.com
under $20 for 6 boxes including postage. ......... Now I can get it at
Smart & Final for $3 a box.  I still use it for my kids and hubby to
make
cookies and such.  *cookies made with almond flour* =o]
Trish