Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:58:34 -0400
Mel Pegg posted:
>>>I got the results of my blood tests yesterday, as to why my periods have
>>>stopped..I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome...I suffer with depression and I
>>>think thereis a connection here, ie that I have hormonal imbalances causing
>>>it due to the PCOS....going back to the dr's to talk it through and have more
blood tests.

My reply:

The Chinese view is that emotional frustration and blocked Liver Qi cause
ovarian or breast cysts, PCOS, PMS and other common problems. The Western
view is that it's excess estrogen. These two views make sense together when
you realize that stagnant Liver Qi (the Chinese term) impedes liver
function, then the liver cannot get red of excess estrogens, so they build
up, and a woman may experience fibroids in the uterus or breasts, anger,
irritability, depression, mood swings.  The excess hormones cause excess
tissue to build up or be deposited in a woman's hormonally sensitive
reproductive tissues.

I know women who've overcome the problems listed above, without invasive
drugs or medical procedures. I suggest using dietary intervention first,
then, if you still need assistance, find a qualified practitioner of
Traditional Chinese Medicine. Is there an acupunture and Oriental Medicine
College in your city or somewhere nearby?  If not, call, look, or ask around
for a licensed acupunturist and/or herbalist.

These are changes I've seen work for women with PMS, PCOS, cysts, and
related problems:

1.  Eliminate sources of excess omega 6s in the diet.  Prime culprits:
vegetable oils (canola, corn, safflower, sunflower, "vegetable" or "salad"
oil, margarine, shortening, etc.) and fatty meats from grain fed animals,
which are rich in omega 6s but very deficient in omega 3s.

Omega 6 excess causes a chain reaction of inflammatory hormones (certain
prostaglandins), that trigger pain and infammation, including menstral pain
and PMS symptoms. When using nuts, focus mainly on almonds and walnuts.  Use
XV-olive oil and/or coconut oil as your main salad or cooking fats.

Conventionally raised (supermarket meat and poultry) are fed female
hormones, to stimulate growth. These can cause problems for those who eat
them.  Look for grass or at least hormone and antibiotic-free fed beef,
bison, lamb, yak, chicken, turkey, duck, pheasant, etc.

Some supermarkets sell hormone and antibotic free meat, such as coleman
natural beef and laura's lean beef. For grassfed meat from a farmer in your
state or region, check <www.eatwild.com>

2. If you buy any grain fed (organic or just hormone and antibiotic-free)
poultry, remove the skin, and eat more breast than dark meat. Grain fed meat
should be trimmed of visible fat. It's best to avoid things like sausage,
hot dogs, and other salted or cured or fatty meats.

3.  Replace conventional and grain-fed healthfood store eggs with ranged
(preferably non-grain-fed) eggs or DHA-rich eggs, preferably locally grown.
DHA rich eggs are another option.

4.  Eat generous amounts of fresh (and especially raw) vegetables and fruits
daily. Sterols, sterolins, and other constituents in these foods bind with
excess hormones and eliminate them from your system. Sterols and sterolins
posess many other anti-inflammatory and immune enhancing properties.
Sterolins destroyed by cooking.

Focus primarily on non-starchy, colorful vegetables and low glycemic whole
fruits. Include dark leafy greens (cooked as well as salad type) at least
twice a day. Modest amounts of roots and tubers work for many individuals,
particularly those who don't feel well on low-carb diets.

5. Replace grains with vegetables and fruits (you proably already do this,
right?).

6. Consume oily deep ocean fish (ask your fishmonger wild, not farmed
salmon, sea bass, artic char...) at least twice a week and to take cod liver
oil daily. (I like Carlson's Lemon Flavored Cod Liver Oil and so do many of
my cooking students and friends who've tried it.)

7. Scutters Alterative and Fraxinus Ceanothus (sold as a compound) may help.
This compound is made by Gia Herb co. and used for gynecological cysts,
tumors, and fibroids.  The other product that would be good (a classic
Chinese herb formula) is Beupleurum Calmitive by Planetary Herbology. (It's
the same as a formula TCM practioners use for such problems.)

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: My post is not meant to replace the advice of a qualified
alternative health practitioner! :-)) I am not an MD, ND, or health
practitioner.  I'm freelance food and health writer, cooking coach, natural
foods cooking instructor, and married to a Certified Herbalist. I suffered
from PMS and odd menstral cycles for many years but don't now and have not
for many years! Natural foods and herbs helped me.

In health,

Rachel Matesz,
The Healthy Cooking Coach

PS. I've not posted for a while. I'm in the throes of readying my and my
husband's manuscript for publication.