From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:47:41 -0400
I am having a problem.  This summer my number one goal is to get my elderly parents accepted by a good retirement home.  We have visited three and I have taken copies of the daily/weekly menus from each.  :)

Well, I could write a book.  I don't care if you are not even paleo - the food they are serving these old people is crap.

Every meal contains enough sugar to drop them dead.  I don't know about salt, but I bet it's high too.  One veg (boiled to death, or in a casserole) per meal and nothing raw.  Lots of sugary, canned peaches, cakes, cookies, waffles, etc.  Lots of juices but no whole fruit.  No green, leafy veg at all unless it is boiled spinach.  No meat unless it is incorporated in a heavily sauced casserole.....  etc., etc., etc.

To top it off, they send a "juice" cart around to each room twice a day to encourage the people to drink and rehydrate.  On the cart are high glycemic juices and COOKIES!  Twice a day!  No protein to balance the huge insulin surge.

Then, the administrator who was conducting our tour, said the residents can't even sit where they want with their friends for three meals a day in the dining room because so many of them are diabetics and the staff needs to keep them straight.  Well, duh, I wonder why such a high percentage of the people living there are diabetic.

I was shocked.  These are private pay homes that cost from between $45,000 to $61,000 (American) per year for a married couple.

My parents are going to barely qualify financially and I don't think it's a good idea for me to grab their dietician by the throat, so I asked if they could have small refrigerators in their rooms and the answer was yes.  I lay awake last night thinking of what they can keep in their rooms to stay healthy!

So far:  baby carrots, celery, greens, etc. for salad; almond butter; fruit; raw organic nuts; organic cold meats; lemons and limes to add to bottled water; ........

BTW, my 86 y/o father is strictly paleo, bless his heart.

Kath