From:
Pat Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:02:27 -0700
I was bitten by an Arizona brown, which produces a less virulent toxin,
and I had a really bad time. I was even hospitalized, but in truth it
was for the resulting infection, not the venom itself. (what's the diff
between toxin and venom?).
High thee to the ER. If it is indeed a Texas brown recluse or some other
variety, it can in fact result in severe and on-going loss of tissue.
I've seen pictures.
FYI, I was stringing Xmas lights outside and the next morning noticed a
slight swelling with a dark pin-point in the middle. By early afternoon
the hand was swollen and throbbing. I went to the M.D. and he dx it as
only an infection, not a bite. He put me on at-home IV and when the
nurses came to install it, they saw the infection going up my arm and
told me to get to ER stat.
So both the nurse and the doctor were right, but the doc was wrong about
it not being a bite.