From:
Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:01:58 -0800
 > It's in the USDA database, so I guess it's considered a food item in the US.
 >
 > Here's the USDA entry:
 > http://makeashorterlink.com/?A23912993

i saw somewhere else that horse meats contained 2 gr of carbohydrates

 > One advantage of horse meat would be that horses do badly on grain
 > diets. Colic is the number one cause of horse deaths, and it is largely
 > caused by high grain diets. Even putting a horse into a different
 > paddock with more grass seeds than the one they are coming from can
 > trigger an attack. As a guide, horses should eat less than 10% of feed
 > (by weight) as grain.
 >
 > So, any horse meat you can find is likely to be mostly raised on grass
 > and grass hay. My guess is that this is the reason that the horse meat
 > in the USDA database is fairly lean with an excellent amount of omega 3
 > fats.

yes except that now with pelleted feeds ( that contain whatever the food
industry can produce as by product )that is very used by horse owners  ,
those old horses will have had a very far from natural diet .

i know many horses that are fed only hay or even straw and pellets ( for
thoses horses eating grass makes them having diarrhea.
jean-claude