From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:16:39 EDT
I am looking for opinions here. (Facts welcome too of course)

I have noticed that virtually every vegetarian I know, whose personal
past I
know a bit about, each of them has been somehow victimized. One woman
was
beaten by her husband for a number of years before she left him,
another was
extremely bullied by a sibling for his entire childhood, another was
molested by her father, another was raped as a teenager, and I too
could be
put into this category of vegetarians (I was a vegetarian for 6 years,
until
recently.)

I am wondering, if you could take a poll among vegetarians would you
find
that a great many have been victimized, and if you wanted to get all
Freudian about it, would you find that this has anything to do with
their
decision to be vegetarian?

I mentioned this idea to afforementioned vegetarian number one, and
she
insisted that I was full of crap, then elaborated that her decision to
be
vegetarian was based on the cost of meat. Now I know this person, she
thinks
she doesn't *deserve* expensive things. It's complicated. (I also
think that
gluten and casein are making her a little schizo, and yes I really
mean
that.)

Anybody think this is possible, or better yet, know of any official
studies
on this matter?
Stacie