From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:37:42 -0500
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 >> Together, therefore a mix of them results in a very high protein
 >> quality
 >> (better even as eggs and meats).
 >
 >That is what the Vegans claim anyway...

Yes, it' true. I have written about such results of nitrogen balance tests
in the list some years ago.
When egg is rated as 100% meat is around 89%, wheat alone around 55%.
A mix of wheat and lentil (or generally 1/3 legume and 2/3 cereal) reaches
around 100.

However this protein quality is of little interest.
It's only of interest if you need to minimize the nitrogen intake
(like in a kidney disease). Or if you have little protein available.

Otherwise you eat much more protein as you need in terms of amino acids anyway.

In this Cysteine attempt I try to start looking at certain specific amino
acids and their effects. Like tryptophan and cysteine.
The quoted nitrogen article mentiones some more effects (purposes) of
certain individual amino acids.
This time I'd like to see if homocysteine levels could be regulated naturally.

regards

Amadeus