From:
Sandy Rzetelny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:45:45 EST
I was just talking to a woman from Trinidad whose grandad died in his sleep at
105. Up till then still able to get around like a much younger man. This woman
says she also has an aunt in her sixties with no signs of aging etc. When
questioned about this man's diet and according to her there are many really
old people in Trinidad- she says they dont eat rice and beans as does a large
portion of the younger generation.

Her grandad would not touch store bought chicken only his own free range
organic chickens and  a lot of his own pork. Also he ate lots of his own
organic fruits, veggies, and tubers.He did not cook at all with oils of any
kind, just butter.

She says that all of the healthier, and long lived seemed to use coconut milk
in their cooking. She  makes a point to point out that her granddad and these
healthy people ate coconut milk from the older coconut every day and drank the
coconut water from the young coconut every day and also ate the jelly inside.

 The granddad was conscious that he was eating healthfully, because he asked
his grandaughter if she would also live a long life to which she replied that
she couldn't  because she couldnt not eat storebought food w/o chemicals etc
like he did.I asked her what his advice would be to her to live a long life-
she said:to eat (natural) pork and coconut and not much from the stores.

I have recently read on another list  research that indicates that coconut is
very health promoting and that islanders who eat a lot of it live a long
healthy life. This research gives arguments against using any other kind of
vegetable oil other than coconut.

Personally I wonder about all the fears instilled in us re the high content of
saturated fats in coconut oil.

Any thoughts?

Love
Sandy