From:
Fawn Bales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:58:06 -0500
Boobage:
>two, that
>they are used as an age identifier.  This one makes especially no sense
>because it doesn't do the female any good to broadcast that she's old
>and infertile.

Well, since many of us didn't live long enough to BE old and infertile
(disease, accidents, childbirth, etc.), perhaps as an age identifier
it's more to signal that the female is old ENOUGH and fertile.

However, I still think it is to move the "shape" signal of a ripe bottom
moved up for the bipeds.

>It
>turned out she was so right in her assumptions that the experiment
>became too dangerous to continue.  But that's another story.

DO TELL!  Neither of my offspring were happy with 'cold milk' until they
were walking unless they were desparately hungry.

>It is worth noting at this point that (mind you I think this is rather
>funny) babies float.  As long as the water is calm and they don't float
>away, all is well.
>And, most of them quite enjoy it.  Chimpanzee infants, basically, well,
>sink.

Yes, from what I understand - we are the only primate with this ability
to float and swim at birth.  Human babies seem to have more bodyfat than
other primates and most other land mammals - even though the milk supply
at birth can be assumed to be adequate for all babies.  So it might not
be a hedge against a food shortage.  This extra fat layer is added
during the last month of gestation - could be flotation is it's purpose

>> hooters; they have genitalia that turn bright red when they're in
>> heat -- always an ice-breaker at a party.

>Hm, AAT also has quite a bit to say about heat, and humans apparent
lack
>of it.

Also - genitalia in females are less exposed in bipeds - so a color
signal might not be an adequate one.

>It's only fair for me to point out that I've become quite biased on
this
>theory, after some years exploring it (not continuously!).
>Erik

It certainly is interesting to think about and discuss.

Fawn