Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:49:47 -0400
Several people have asked about studies connecting alcohol addiction, depression and
carbs.

It's not just a coincidence.  Kathles DesMaisons wrote a book called POTATOES NOT PROZAC,
which I read within the last couple of years ago.  I'd heard about the book from a friend
who is a counselor and food coach (talk + food therapy!) and like to know as much as I can
to pass on to people I know and meet.  (I meet so many people who say they are addicted to
bread, starches, candy, cookies, sweets in general...)

The author of the book did her Ph.D on the topic of alcholism and drug addiction paired
with carbohydrate addiction and brain chemistry.  She has successfully helped many people
recover from various addictions using dietary intervention and reportedly has an
astounding success rate.

The book was very interesting.  Although I found certain errors in the book (wrt:  protein
equivalents in certain foods), they were minor. I don't subscribe 100% to her approach but
it is many steps above the SAD or MAD and she offers a great framework and argument for
regularity in eating which, in my experience (I am an ex-carb addict, ex-sweets addict),
leads to regularity in energy and moods (particularly when there is a complete protein at
every feeding).  I found it very interesting and the average person who is *addicted* to a
substance would surely find some fascinating research citations and case studies as well
as practical tips.

Hope this helps!

Rachel