From:
Julie Jarvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:05:12 -0800
> According to Dr. Tyler, sassafras is a new world plant that has been
> used for syphilis, typhus, dropsy, skin diseases, etc., but is very
> unsafe.  The volatile oil consists of about 80% safrole, which "for
> years it was a valued flavoring agent in root beer and similar beverages
> .  But as a result of research conducted in the early 1960s, safrole was
> recognized as a carcinogenic agent in rats and mice." *  ....."sassafras
> continues to be collected, used, sold, and written about as an herbal
> remedy.  No one really knows just how harmful it is to human beings, but
> it has been estimated that one cup of strong sassafras tea could contain
> as much as 200 mg. of safrole, more than four times the miminal amount
> believed hazardous to man if consumed on a regular basis." **

Thanks for the info-- so far I've only tried a *very* weak
tea made with about 1/2 teaspoon of sassafras bark to 2
liters of water, so should be OK.  I'm lacking in herbal
knowledge.  Anyone have any good reference books on the
safety of different common herbals?  Our neighborhood
pharmacy has a herbal "Facts and Comparisons" manual that
lists known adverse as well as therapeutic value to various
herbs and plants.  I will look up sassafras in that
reference next week and report on what I find.

Julie