From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:56:02 -0500
I'd probably make a distinction between "paleomimetic" and "paleo-inspired" diets, rather than introducing the more tendentious terms "pseudo-paleo." As the term (which I just coined) implies, paleomimetic diets try to recreate the actual diets of paleolithic peoples. This, of course, depends upon one's reconstruction of what those diets were. In particular, since technology existed from the very beginning of the Paleolithic era, these reconstructions depend on assumptions about which parts of the Paleolithic are normative for us. There's no doubt, for example, that cooking started at some point in the Paleolithic. It is simply not known when. But anyone attempting a paleomimetic diet must arrive at some conclusion about this. Stone tools and fishhooks are also technology, but the later came fairly late in the Paleolithic; the former were there from the start.

Paleo-inspired diets use information about the Paleolithic era as a way to generate hypotheses about optimal nutrition, but it subjects those hypothese to critical scrutiny in light of modern scientific knowledge. In this approach, if we have good reason to think that actual paleolithic people didn't eat a certain food (because they couldn't have), that is reason to be suspicious of that food, but it doesn't convict it. For that, more direct evidence of harm would be required. Dr. Harris's "PaNu" is an example of that approach. I don't think the Weston Price diet can be called pseudo-paleo, since it doesn't even purport to be paleo. Instead, it is inspired and informed by "traditional" diets, of hunter-gatherers and other peoples who don't use modern technologies, but do use traditional technologies.

Todd Moody