From:
"Namaste, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:21:42 EDT
I can't remember where I got this -- but I find it explosive in its
implications. If you've already seen it -- oops. If not I think you'll find
it interesting.  It's about a Lancet article from 1999.

    Lack Of Sleep Alters Hormones, Metabolism
CHICAGO, IL--- October 22, 1999 -- Chronic sleep loss can reduce the capacity
of even young adults to perform basic metabolic functions such as processing
and storing carbohydrates or regulating hormone secretion, report researchers
from the University of Chicago Medical Center in the October 23 issue of The
Lancet.

Cutting back from the standard eight down to four hours of sleep each night
produced striking changes in glucose tolerance and endocrine function-changes
that resembled the effects of advanced age or the early stages of
diabetes-after less than one week.

Although many studies have examined the short-term effects of acute, total
sleep deprivation on the brain, this is the first to investigate the impact
of chronic, partial sleep loss on the body by evaluating the metabolism and
hormone secretion of subjects subjected to sleep restriction and after sleep
recovery.

"We found that the metabolic and endocrine changes resulting from a
significant sleep debt mimic many of the hallmarks of aging," said Dr. Eve
Van Cauter, professor of medicine at the University of Chicago and director
of the study. "We suspect that chronic sleep loss may not only hasten the
onset but could also increase the severity of age-related ailments such as
diabetes, hypertension, obesity .... for rest of the article go to:

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/13d2f2.htm

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>