From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:10:22 -0500

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_1217000/1217719.stm BBC News
>| HEALTH | Weaning late develops fussy eaters
>
>It's interesting that there is no mention whether these babies are being
>weaned from breast or bottle, or both.
>
>Siobhan

It's also interesting that they do not discuss *what* the children are
eating. Any advice written from the perspective that weaning is something
that a parent must inflict on their child is usually fallible anyway.

Madi started solids at 10 months or so, when she began to show interest in
chewing food. She ate cut-up banana and bits of chicken and ground meat.
Vegetables came later, and to this day she loves green leafy veggies
(especially collard greens). Zoe started rice cereal at five months, at the
recommendation of her pediatrician. I then changed my mind about feeding her
solids (because it was obvious she was having trouble with it) and held off
until 8 months, when she started bananas and peaches. By 10 months she was
chewing her food. She then weaned early, at 13 months, and has been a very
finicky eater since that time. She will not touch an orange vegetable, would
be glad to live on bananas alone, and usually has to be coaxed to eat meat
of any sort. There are days when she will eat a plateful of broccoli, or a
whole buffalo burger (I have to wait until it's cold and pretend it's a
cookie).

Both of my kids chewed food at age 10 months, regardless of whether they'd
"practiced" with pureed foods. The child who was "delayed" solids is
anything but a picky eater (she also has always been a paleo kid). The child
with whom the approach was more the standard American way remains a very
picky eater (we were vegetarians until she was 2).

Stacie