From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 10:49:13 -0700
Hi Ashley,
You wrote:

> It's been around for a HUNDRED YEARS (I'm sure I've read
> about ketogenic diets being used before 1920) and now they're
> talking about it like a new discovery.
>
> Pick your favourite bit of stupidity, I think mine is this
> (although it's a close call):
> "If your epilepsy is easily controlled on one medication then
> I wouldn't advocate the diet, but if at least two drugs have
> failed then it should be considered."
>
> Also it says this:
> However, there were some side-effects including constipation,
> vomiting, lack of energy and hunger.
>
> What exactly were they eating?

You're quite correct. The ketogenic diet has been around for 80+ years.
Banting's article was about weight loss and probably did not induce
continuous, deep ketosis. The ketogenic diet was developed at Johns Hopkins
in the 1920s as a treatment for epilepsy. It was intended to mimic one
feature of starvation which had been reported as a means of stopping
seizures. It proved quite effective but was soon displaced. By about 1930,
the first drug to control seizures became available and the shift was to the
"magic bullet". Not only is it more convenient to take drugs, the drug
companies spend a lot of money promoting their product, while dietary
therapies don't generate much revenue and hence, promoting them is not
likely a good investment.

There is the added difficulty that the "Banting" type diet will be confused
with a ketogenic diet which is somewhat different. In ketosis, free fatty
acids and ketone bodies provide energy for our cells to burn as fuels. In
order to maintain a stable state of ketosis we have to eliminate almost all
carbs. (Which is quite different from Banting's reduced carbohydrate diet.)
Ketosis can be induced by eating a diet that is loaded with fats (~70%) and
protein (~30%).

A frequent problem with ketogenic therapy is that there is more than one way
of inducing ketosis. William Banting was likely shifting in and out of
ketosis much of the time because Dr. Harvey's diet allowed small amounts
stale toast, cooked fruit, and considerable alcohol. All of these foods will
cause insulin production - which stops ketosis.

Ketosis can also be induced by a diet that contains more protein and less
fat. The side effects reported in this article suggest that these
researchers may have been allowing too much protein in their version of a
ketogenic diet. These are the symptoms of "rabbit starvation" which occurs
when excessive protein is consumed without sufficient fat. (Carbohydrates
can also eliminate the condition but then ketosis is lost.)

Historically, most of my family's deaths have been the result of various
cancers. I have long asserted that I would follow a ketogenic diet if I were
to be diagnosed with any kind of cancer. After one person's challenge asking
if I knew what it would be like to follow such an awful diet, I decided it
would be a good idea to try it out. I have twice followed a ketogenic diet
for about a month each time. In both instances I have experienced a sense of
being a social outcast. I also experienced improved breathing, improved
exercise tolerance, loss of a few unwanted pounds, more energy, and a
wonderful sense of well-being. Early in the process, I did experience some
constipation, low energy, and hunger. I found that these symptoms soon
disappeared (after 3 or 4 days). I never experienced vomiting.

I suspect that most members of this listserv would choose a dietary
treatment if they developed epilepsy. For many folks however, just
eliminating gluten from their diet is a huge undertaking.  I am still
surprised by the number of people who tell me how awful it must be to follow
a gluten-free diet. (I don't usually tell them that I avoid dairy products
too.) While I suspect that they might not find it all that awful if they
tried it, they find the prospect of a gluten-free diet horrific.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.