From:
Dean Pistilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 16:17:43 +1100
>>From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>>As a general thing, I agree.  I'm not arguing for a high-carb diet,
but >>I am arguing that using starch sources such as tubers as part of a
>>moderate or lowcarb diet is perfectly paleo.

Agreed, since some of the "starch sources" which you quote (squash) are
not true starch sources(potato,grains,sweet potato) at all.

>>Again, I agree.  But that kind of a diet need not exclude starch
sources >>such as root veggies, tubers, squashes, etc.  the form of
>>polysaccharides.  Last night, for example, I had pork tenderloin with
a generous portion of acorn squash about 2 cups, which comes to about
30g of >>carbohydrate.

I also eat squash and pumpkin every day, but I don't label this as a
starchy carb.. it's just not the same as grain/potato etc.

>>at most modern people eat, it is still enough to allow for the use
ofsweet potatoes, turnips, squashes, and other paleo =
>>starches.  If I had to guess, I'd bet that the bowel problems are
caused

squashes yes.. potatoes no.

> Many starchy tubers also cooking to be edible, which is another point
against them.
>>Some need cooking; most don't.

Exactly, this is why you can't lump all the above carbs in the one boat.
Squash, pumpkin, carrots and some others are completely different in
structure,composition and cooking to carbs such as potatoes, sweet
potatoes and "yams". For one thing, you can theoretically eat squash
etc. raw with no problem, they also ripen and contain no hard to digest
amylopectin or complex carb structures. The second group (yams,potatoes
etc.) need cooking to even be made edible for one, you simply can't eat
them raw/undercooked or you will be sick or poisoned. The starch content
is many times higher in this group and as many are aware, eating them
with any other foods especially high protein/fat will do nothing for you
except produce the effect of feeling like a basketball for a few hours.
Something active paleo people just don't need.

reg.,
Dean, Oz.