From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2014 09:23:28 -0800
Ron, you wrote:.....
<<Weston Price and Paleo are both venerable paradigms, but there is a lot of
solid science that falls outside of both of these perspectives, and may yet
prove crucial to healthy eating, especially for those whose genes are partly
or wholly non-European.>>

Which is interesting for me because although I was born and raised in
England, my mother is Indian/Portuguese and my father Russian/Polish.

[Ron] We are all genetic "mixtures". But the case that is made against
grains for Europeans is a much stronger case for the rest of the world's
populations. They have been eating grains for a much shorter period than
their European cousins. Your proclivity for rice may simply reflect the same
cravings that others have for sugar. Rice is rapidly converted to sugar in
the digestive tract. Here is an excerpt from my master's thesis:
"It seems that "dietary alterations in precursor availability can modify
neuronal activity" (Young, 1986).  The availability of tryptophan through
increased insulin production, in response to sugar ingestion, increases
uptake of competing large neutral amino acids  into muscle cells. This
increases the relative serum concentration of tryptophan, which is
resistant to insulin.  The relative increase in serum tryptophan, following
a rise in insulin,  leads to a competitive advantage to tryptophan,  for
transport across the BBB. Increased tryptophan has been asserted to lead to
increased levels of serotonin in the brain (Krassner, 1986; Fernstrom 1986;
Wurtman, 1986; Ziesel, 1986)."

[Ron] I would urge you to keep your rice consumption to a bare minimum. Like
you, I crave such foods if I eat even the smallest amount. I have found that
I fare best when avoiding them completely.

best wishes,
Ron