From:
Pat Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:31:38 -0700
Reading the posts on migraines and many other topics gives me confidence
to address this group about the origins of my interest in changing my
diet and to try to elicit from you all whatever ideas you have.
When I found that my blood pressure was high, running about 150 over
90+, I began monitoring it. I exercised vigorously (very), I am not
overweight although at times in the past decade or so I've been as much
as 20 # over, and I have no bad habits, and no family history of heart
disease or diabetes.
The b/p just didn't go down and I refused to take the doctor up on his
offer of medication. One night my wife showed me an unprepossessing
little book on hypertension that said it was all diet and recommended a
diet similar to the ones favored now: high protein, low carbs. I tried
and my b/p went down within a day or so.
Now, you would think I would stick to that diet - a relatively easy diet
for me. But no. And, sure enough, my b/p went back up. I examined some
other diet cures and finally returned to the book I had read called The
Paleolithic Prescription (I was an undergrad anthro major so it appealed
to me). I found the Cordain book and began experimenting and it, too,
worked. BTW, so did Atkins.
The stresses of everyday life make it hard for me to stay on any diet,
but this one, from Cordain and Aulette, is pretty easy compared to
others. However, I notice a good deal of very esoteric talk about the
body's chemical reactions to various items. What I want to avoid is
getting into the minutiae of chemicals and hormones or getting bogged
down in which variety of some rare Tahitian flower stem to put in my
stew.
I just want to go to the grocery store, add a couple of trips to Whole
Foods in there, and have a cup of coffee in the morning and a beer or
glass of wine at night. It seems that most of you are pretty relaxed
about all this. I would love to hear your observations and
recommendations and advice.
Thanks.
[log in to unmask]  Pat Barrett