From:
Joseph Berne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:19:24 -0500
Evolution only happens when the less-fit are excluded from reproduction.
 In nature this happens because of death - the animal that can't get food,
escape predators, avoid illness, etc. gets killed and doesn't pass on its
genes.  We have basically stopped this process.  People who are less fit -
who couldn't catch their own meals, run long distances, whatever, are still
able to breed (and often breed even more than those who are fit).

Lactose intolerant?  Just take lactaid pills.  Or avoid dairy - you're not
going to starve, there are plenty of other options.  In a primitive society
the lactose tolerant would have had a real advantage - living in a society
where famine is a real possibility and cows are being domesticated, the
lactose tolerant individual would look pretty good.

I'm not saying that this is morally bad or wrong - I'm not saying someone
should intentionally stop the less fit from having kids or anything - but
we need to realize that evolution doesn't just "happen" without selection
pressure.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Emiliano Bussolo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >>Could it be we were just designed that way to start with?
>
> "Designed"? Living beings ain't cars...
>
> >>Why are we not evolving to use modern foods?
> >>John
>
> We probably are, but the time scale for evolutionary changes to take place
> is a bit longer than the 2000 years modern foods have been around.
>
> --
Visit my Training blog:
http://karateconditioning.blogspot.com