Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 16:47:03 -0500
On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 11:42:02 -0500, Brenda Young
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  PS  Last night, my hubby and a friend of ours was asking me how spinach
> and onions are getting the ecoli.  I read something about that a while
> back, but forgot exactly what the deal was.  If it's appropriate subject
> matter for this list, could someone re-inform me???  Seems to me that
> the farmers were using some kind of animal matter (in chemical form??)
> for pest-control, or something like that.  ?????

The official story is that it comes from cattle shit or manure which is
 from cattle fed on stuff they should not eat, such as cereal grains, maybe
silage or whatever nasty they are doing to dairy and beef cattle these
days; nasty fodder=wrong intestinal microbes.

Another story, maybe mre likely, is that these crops are picked by hand,
and the pickers do not have port-a-potties, or don't use them, so their
excrement is absorbed by the plants' roots.
These labourers do not have a good diet, so their wastes contain bad bugs.

William