From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:58:44 -0700
Hi Emiliano,
Thanks for your most interesting post and questions.

While on a low carb, paleo diet and  your blood sugar is unstable, I
suspect that your protein intake is higher, while your fat intake is
down. Conversely, when your blood glucose is stable, your fat intake
would constitute 70% to 80% of your diet and your protein consumption
would be somewhere between 20% and 30%.

Although I don't have diabetes, my blood glucose levels vary according
to the above issues. I have also worked with a number of people to help
them lose weight, and their fluctuations in blood glucose reflect
similar trends. This is because, once in ketosis, in absence of adequate
available fat for energy, the liver will start to break down protein and
make glucose from it - that protein can come from the food we eat or
from our muscles. The trick to avoiding this dynamic for raising blood
glucose is to ensure you are eating adequate fat and when your body fat
had reached a minimum, you should be increasing your fat intake to meet
your energy needs.

Another benefit to this diet is that it may halt production of
anti-islet cell antibodies if you stick with it long enough. An islet
cell transplant might then offer a path back to normal glucose
metabolism. However, you could not consume gluten, dairy, and soy or
your anti-islet cell antibodies might develop again.

Best Wishes,
Ron

--
PK