From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:55:58 -0500
The problems is that these rules individually give inconsistent
results.  Example: tomatoes are edible raw and are not grains,
but our paleolithic ancestors didn't eat them (because they are
New World foods).  Or: oats are edible raw but are grains as
well.  As for the Master Rule of eating only what our paleolithic
ancestors ate, the problem is that we don't know in detail what
they ate, and probably never will.  Hence the "edible raw" rule
is supposed to tell us what they *could have* eaten, but it
doesn't tell us whether they actually did.  Again, since oats
grow everywhere and are edible raw, our paleo ancestors could
have eaten them.  But did they?

Whoa.

New World foods weren't available to paleolithic people? Hmm..this is a very
eurocentric statement, as we know that people were living in the "new world"
during paleo era, and obviously ate the foods that were available to them.
So New World foods were not available to paleo folks of *Europe*... but WERE
available to people who lived in the land to the west.

That's also like saying we should not eat buffalo or elk because these are
New World foods.