From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 14:25:24 -0400
On Thu, 28 May 2009 14:12 Joan Howe wrote:

> [...]

It appears that the North American Indians dried the meat for
their pemmican in the sun or over a fire. But as I read
Stefansson quoting Peary, they combined this dried meat with
fresh, un-rendered fat by pounding the two together - probably
using something like a pestle and mortar. In the absence of a
metal pot I guess that's what they'd have to do. However such
a process does not enable the removal of moisture - which we
do to inhibit bacteria-caused decay.

Any comments?

Keith