From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:11:46 +1000
> In a message dated 8/14/99 8:39:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > We don't doubt that e. coli exists;
> >  we just ask why it is that so many people are exposed to it and to
> >  salmonella and flu viruses.... and yet not everyone becomes sick on
> >  exposure?! And, we ask that those with the Mass Hysteria Mindset not
poison
> >  the meat for the rest of us by demanding sterilized meat!  E-mail us
> >  privately if you simply want to second the motion!

Like all infectious diseases, immunity varies from individual to individual,
week to week. Most of us have had glandular fever yet never got sick with
it. In bacteriology, there is the concept of balanced pathogenicity- the
germs that kill don't get to spread around much- it's much smarter to make
you not sick, then the germ can get out and about and infect more people.
Unfortunately, E.coli is usually a result of poor hygiene in food handlers.
(Obviously that is unlikely to occur to members of this list as some of us
keep saying how talented we all are...................hint of sarcasm :) ),
With E. coli it's really the toxin producing and animal species of E. coli
that cause the problems, the rest just make your oysters smell like a stool
specimen without making you sick.
That's why rich countries have food laws. Too bad for 95% of the world.

This list is a hard core western science based list, if you haven't noticed.
Paleodiet ideas are all based on research by anthropologists etc. That's why
it's nice to have these sort of good scientific questions.

Loren Cordain's paper that Don wrote about gives a beautiful scientific
backing to why Neolithic diets are so bad for your immunity. I must say that
I kick colds much better since going paleo.

I notice the anabolic effects too -increased muscle mass and strength-
anyone else notice anabolic effects?

Ben