From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:59:44 -0600
> Yeah but another dumb question, keep in mind you are hearing this
> question from a former vegetarian.  Shouldn't we be concerned with
> eating so much meat considering it is higher in cholesterol.
Most of the people who go paleo find that their HDL (good) cholesterol
goes up, and their LDL and Triglycerides go down a LOT.  There are a few
exceptions.

> I know the Paelo way of life calls for LEAN meats but are ribeyes and
> porterhouse steaks really all that good for you?  I am not doubting you,
> I have somehow lost all the enzymes to digest meat, some days are better
> than others with digestion.  Yesterday I had 8 ounces of lean turkey
> (ground) with 6 egg whites and I was sick as a dog.
I'd be sick as a dog by eating 6 egg whites.  Even 6 eggs.  If you don't
eat any fat with your meals, you're likely to get sick (rabbit
starvation). That said, if you haven't been eating meat, it will take a
little time for your body to produce the necessary enzymes.  You could try
supplemental enzymes for a while; that's what I did when I went suddenly
 from vegetarian to paleo.  It really smoothed the transition.

You've also no doubt been exposed to a lot of opinion (polite word) about
how horrible meat eating is, and how meat eaters put themselves at risk of
cancer, going to hell, and so forth.  Never mind that there is not a human
society in history that has been vegan. The only major vegetarian society
is in India, and they eat boatloads of dairy products, and as I have read,
do not have good health.  If meat eating was dangerous to human health, it
wouldn't be a near-universal part of human diet.

> but humans only have 4 canine teeth, the rest are shaped flat with
> ridges - does this mean that humans have evolved into more of a
> vegetarian...?
We have evolved as *omnivores*.  We are not herbivores.  We do not have a
herbivore's teeth or gut.  Even carnivores only have 4 "canine" teeth;
it's the standard pattern. Cats, who are obligate carnivores, only have 4
fangs, one on each corner.  They have incisors at the front, like us.
They have cheek teeth, ideal for slicing small prey, while we have molars
("grinders"), but not like a cow, horse, or sheep.

> I for some reason seem to think that meat eating is bad and the cruelty
> to animals is beyond my control.
You can control the cruelty by buying locally-grown, pastured meat.  Death
per se
is not cruelty; it's the way of the world.  It's the life the animals lead
that really matters, and you can control that.  A quick bullet to the head
is not painful. It's the life in feedlots or cages that is cruel.  Just
say no to feedlot beef and caged chicken and pork.

To tell you the truth, unless you are buying 100% free-range poultry, the
chicken you eat has suffered far more in its short life than a pastured
steer who lives in a grassy paradise until the day the truck comes.

BTW if it wasn't for meat eating, our ancestors would not have survived
the ice ages.  They didn't have eggs in the middle of winter, or fresh
vegetables or fruits.  So it cannot be true that humans are not evolved
for meat eating.

> I appreciate your response... I hope to learn more about Paleo way of
> life, I am seeing benefits but am still avoiding red meats like the
> plague.  There's only so much chicken and turkey I can eat.

When I went from being a serious vegetarian to paleo, I started with
poultry and
fish, then expanded to game such as venison, then lamb.  Beef was the last
major
meat I added, after about a year.  You may find that the same technique
works for you.

	Lynnet