From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:50:46 -0500
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, ardeith l carter wrote:

> I've been waiting for someone to mention the way
> wolves and other predators eat the stomachs of their
> prey, including the contents of those stomachs.....
> usually grasses or other browse.....which have been
> partially digested by the prey animal.    Do you suppose
> our paleo ancestors did the same?

I see no reason to doubt it.

> And what do you
> suppose became of the udders of female animals who
> were nursing calves?   Those milk-filled glands might
> have been a real treat for our paleo ancestors.

That was paleo-dairy.

> Our
> ancestors who were herders probably didn't kill
> nursing females; surplus male animals and barren females
> would have been killed first, but I don't think I've ever
> heard of anyone using udders, dry or lactating.

In pre-herding days, I'm sure it wasn't all that uncommon for
nursing calves to be killed.  The very young and very old have
always been favored prey, due to their vulnerability.

> Oh,
> Lordy!  I just had an awful vision of a stuffed and roasted
> cow udder being served up with four 'spigots' poking
> up into the air..........awful picture!

I used to know a guy who lived near a slaughterhouse.  They would
give him the udders, at no charge, and his wife would slice them
and cook them.  They tasted very much like veal, and she would
bread them and prepare them like veal cutlets, complete with
sauce, cheese, and some pasta.  They were pretty good.

Todd Moody