Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 14:50:12 -0600
Ashley Moran wrote:
> On 8 May 2008, at 13:41, Jim Swayze wrote:
>
>> Our family is a bit of a closed group emotionally.  I love them anyway.
>
> I've been in the same situation and it's just not possible to get some
> people to think laterally.  I don't know whether it's pride or
> something else (maybe different for different people), but whatever it
> is is strong enough to make some people prefer the idea of prolonged
> sickness and even death to a "crazy" idea that may help them.
>
> I hope you find something that helps
>
> All the best
> Ashley

Taking personal responsibility for one's one actions/choices takes both
effort and a willingness to trod your own path instead of going with the
social flow.  For example, looking for a more optimum diet takes
research and finding paleo and implementing it takes effort and involves
social risk as one has to defend their diet choices, make an effort to
obtain the right foods either in home or while eating out,  and one has
to overcome their fear of standing out from the crowd.  Trusting in
authority figures and going with the social flow is much much easier
requiring litter mental effort and one can always make an appeal to
authority as justification for decisions made instead of standing on
their own two feet.  The fear of ostracism, built in by evolution,
limits most people from making their own path, from being true to
themselves.  That given, the simple mentality is if your are not an
appropriate authority figure, a member of the tribal alpha class as it
were, then it's not possible that you can have any information that
might be useful to those who follow the social crowd.

You'll need to align yourself with an appropriate authority figure in
presenting your case tactfully and to some degree subconsciously in
order to make inroads.  How one does that will take creativity.

Steve