From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:15:17 +1000
Todd,
solanine is present in tiny amounts in tomatoes and eggplant fruit-
and is
of no likely significance. These are edible fruits and are symbiotic
with
their predators. On the other hand it is present in large amounts in
potatoes especially if they are green, cut or bruised. It does not
degrade
with cooking even deep frying. Green, bruised and injured potatoes
must
never be eaten even if the green bruised or injured parts are cut off.

The solanine level in normal potatoes is close to the toxic level,
which is
why I think they are the most marginal of all foods in the diet.

Potatoes also have lectins and enzyme inhibitors in abundance.

In the medical literature, there are over 30 recorded cases in of
death from
eating raw potatoes  (ref Loren Cordain, paleodiet list).

A good reference to become a pothater is the fairly heavy (but a
breeze
compared to Liener) post-graduate level text:
Shahidi, Fereidoon ed Antinutrients and Phytochemicals in Food 1997
Culinary
and Hospitality Industry Publications CHIPS if you wnat an
interlibrary
loan. Chapter 4 I think (anyhow, the chapter after Liener's chapter)
is very
good for becoming a lectin hater.

Potatoes sure are not paleo!!!

Ben Balzer

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> Potatoes: they are a good source of protein and energy *and* vitamins.
> They are underground plants which is a good indication for healthy
> paleo-food.
> But they contain a toxin: solanin.

An interesting thing about solanin is that it is also present in
tomatoes and other nightshade plants.  If it is a reason for
avoiding potatoes then it is also a reason to avoid the others.

I think I have read that the solanin in potatoes is formed when
they are exposed to sunlight.  That is when they begin to turn
green.

Todd Moody