From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:17:30 +0000
>Hi, I'm fairly new to the list, and have been a lurker for several weeks.
>I was wondering what the consensus was concerning the best way to move to
>an all paleo diet - slowly or all at once. I've already given up grains,
>and the only dairy I eat is homemade yogurt. The only oil I use is olive
>oil in a salad. I slow-cook meat and poultry to extract the natural fats
>from the cut of meat, or the skin of the poultry, eliminating the need for
>added oils.
>
>I like paleo, and am willing to invest a lot of effort into it. But I am
>looking for a few snack replacements, until the 'need' for them goes away.
>
>Lloyd
>
>Come see us at http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/lsp44/labpals

Well, hello there, Lloyd! Fancy meeting you here... Some people can handle
a bit of dairy if it's cultured; others get to sticking points with their
particular syptoms and have better results eliminating dairy completely.
Use the best quality olive oil you can find, extra-virgin, cold pressed.

As far as snacks, many folks keep a bit of leftover cooked meat around. Raw
nuts are the classic Paleo snack, and perhaps some dried fruits. If you are
into limiting carbohydrates or sugars, be careful not to eat more dried
fruit at a sitting than you would want if it were fresh, i.e., 4 apricots
or prunes, not a dozen. Naturally made beef or fish jerky is great; some
folks are into pemmican, a mixture of rendered lard and powdered dried
meat. You'll hear more about it here. I like all the little dried goodies I
make for my companion, too, beef heart, liver of various kinds, chicken
skins...

Anyway, if you have any questions or just want to yak, email me privately,
if you like.

ginny and Tomo

All stunts performed without a net!