From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:18:16 EDT

In a message dated 4/2/2007 9:46:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Getting the calories up is what scares me especially after the mega splurge
I had this weekend.

I think Jim's suggestion of slightly increasing your protein may be very
helpful -- especially since you exercise.  Also, perhaps try playing around with
meal frequency ie intermittant fasting or meal timing ie no food for 3 hours
before bedtime --  just to see if that could shake things up a bit.

Finally, perhaps you could tweak your workouts - focus on strength training
and reduce cardio a little. I'm a firm believer that mixing up one's workout
can really make a positive difference ie if you usually run for cardio -- try
hill sprints or jumproping or interval bike training.  If you usually do x
number of reps/x number of sets for weightlifting - mix it up -- go heavy and less
reps.  Also, try bodyweight exercises. That may give you the lean, tone look
women want to have.   I've been inspired to get into bodyweight exercises by my
hubby.   Tamir Katz's book has bodyweight exercises for all levels; Eddie
Baran has a good book and of course, Matt Furey and for more advanced types.
These are just suggestions - lots of free bodyweight exercises on the internet.

Middle age and beyond  brings about hormonal changes that affect skin
firmness  etc so that even reaching purportedly ideal body-fat targets frankly will
never look the same now as when you were 20.

Rising stress hormones and diminishing progesterone, testosterone and
estrogen can definitely impact skin appearance,  firmness, thickness.  Paleo type
diet should help reduce stress levels - plus maybe add in a few minutes of
meditation.  Also, keep a close watch on your thyroid function.  Hypothyroid
conditions are common in women and many are undiagnosed or undertreated.  I highly
recommend Mark Starr MD's book Hypothyroidism Type 2.  It deals with
hypothyroidism that often goes undetected by standard bloodwork

Hope this helps -- I always enjoy your interesting postings and you seem so
motivated -- I am certain  you will find the right tweakings necessary to reach
your goals.