From:
Quentin Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:11:29 +1300
On 30 Dec 2001 at 10:57, Richard Archer wrote:

> At 2:03 PM -0800 28/12/01, Mary wrote:
>
> >Richard, is NZ goat meat grain fed or grass fed? It is available near
> >me at the Asian store for a very reasonable price. Thanks in advance,
> >Mary
>
> Sorry, I don't know. One of my neighbors used to breed goats and they
> mostly grazed but were given hay and grain supplements when grass was
> in short supply. That's in Australia though, where grass is more
> frequently in short supply than it is in New Zealand.

G'day G'day Richard,

  NZ farm animals are mostly grazing.  This is especially true of
goats which are most like rounded up feral goats.   We do have few
select milking goat herds for cheese making but most goats are feral
goats that invade grass lands occupied by sheep.  A few end up being
exported to Indians living in the Pacific Islands and once I had goat
curry at a local Indian restaurant.

Much wheat for bread is imported into NZ.  Some maize is grown
locally but basically we depend on grain from other countries and
aren't about to waste it on animal feed.
Quentin Grady