From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 23:24:47 -0400
On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, matesz wrote:

> Todd Moody posted:
> >>What is the mechanism by which dietary fats increase oil
> production in the skin?  Is it known?
>
> My reply:
> Sebaceous glands naturally produce and secrete sebum (a mixture of fats,
> proteins, chlolesterol, and salts).  If excess fat is floating in the blood
> stream will be taken up by the sebaceous glands; in the process, bacteria
> can grow on this fatty stuff while its in the hair follicles.

So, I take it that excess free fatty acids would be the culprit,
rather than triglycerides.  That does implicate fatty foods,
especially in caloric excess, since that tends to increase serum
FFAs.

> I don't know what your experience is, but many people find that a low fat
> diet greatly reduces acne.

I don't remember, exactly.  It was 30 years ago.  I do remember
my father telling me to eat a head of lettuce every day, since
that worked for him when he was a kid.  So I dutifully bought a
head of Iceberg lettuce and ate it like an apple.  And maybe it
did help, since at least while I was eating all the lettuce I
wasn't eating french fries.

Todd Moody